Quick & Easy
Yummy! This is one of my new favourite recipes. It is simple to prepare from scratch, making it perfect for a wholesome meal when life gets busy. It keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days, so it's also great to make a bigger batch to use throughout the week. It's definitely not a fine-dining type of meal, but it's DELICIOUS, filling, and hearty for the colder winter weather.
If you haven't checked out last week's post yet, it covers everything that you need to know about preparing and cooking legumes properly. Chickpeas are one of the most affordable sources of nutrition available on the shelves. They are full of good-quality plant-based protein, filling fibre, and a whole lot of other important nutrients. It can seem a bit daunting to cook your own legumes, and often the tinned versions seem a whole lot easier, but once you start soaking, rinsing, and cooking them yourself I’m pretty sure that you won’t turn back. It requires very little effort, and the benefits of preparing your own legumes are many :) Why not prep some chickpeas this week so that you can give this recipe a try?
Total time: 20min
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 200 g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil/coconut oil
- 3 baby leeks, sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (about 1 x 400 g can of tinned chickpeas, drained)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- Salt & pepper, TT
- Heat oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic, mushrooms, leeks, turmeric, and cumin and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes, cooked chickpeas, and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Enjoy :)